Abdominoplasty or the tummy tuck is the 4th most popular procedure in the US cosmetic industry. It was chosen by 149, 410 Americans in 2011. Most of tummy tuck patients are women, taking the 95% of the procedures while the remaining 4.5% are goes to male clients.
Most tummy tuck clients are those that have problems with their abdomen not answering to any diet or an exercise they do. And most often, tummy tucks are requested by women in their post pregnancy stages who wants their excess kin and flabs removed.
The procedure removes extra fat in the tummy, removes excess skin and tightens the muscles along the abdominal wall.
Who Can Benefit Most from the Procedure?
Both men and women can request a tummy tuck. As long as you are in good health, you may be evaluated as a candidate.
Women who have had several pregnancies can benefit more from the procedure since it can help tighten abdominal muscles lessened by the pregnancies. It can also be good for those people who have lost weight, men and women who were once obese.
Some woman though who are planning to get pregnant then you may try to postpone the procedure. It should be the last resort and not just an easy way out.
Preparing for the Surgery
First, you have to know the person you will entitling your life into. Your doctor should be licensed professional and well trained fro the procedure. Here are some tips for you.
- Talk for alternatives with your doctor.
- Stop smoking for a while two weeks or more before the procedure since it can induce complications later.
- Choose between complete abdominoplasty and a partial abdominoplasty.
- Avoid drastic dieting, stick on healthy foods since it can help you heal better later.
- Open to your doctor about the medications you are taking since they might go against the procedure and might cause complications. Some education of your may need t be stopped prior t the surgery.
- Prepare things you may need after going home from surgery such as ice packs, comfortable clothing, petroleum jelly, hand held shower and a companion to help ease out your movements during your post op time.
The procedure is performed in the hospital. Tummy tuck requires a general anesthesia and can last between one to three hours. You can be outpatient until your doctor require otherwise.
- First incision is made above the pubic bone in the lower of your abdomen
- Second incision as done in the navel.
- Excess skin is taken away.
- Then the muscles in the abdomen will be tightened.
- The incisions will be stitched back together.
- You’ll stay until anesthesia wear off and go home or you may take the next two days under the doctor’s eyes in the hospital.
Post Op Tips
There are things you may need to do to ensure that you had a successful procedure. Here are some tips.
- Rest after the procedure.
- Follow doctor’s orders such as taking your medications.
- Avoid vigorous activities.
- Wear a compression garment to minimize bruising and swelling if the doctor advised you to.
- Eat healthy, avoid smoking and alcohol yet.
- Apply cold compress once pain sets in or take some pain medication as advised by your doctor.
- GO to your doctor right away if you notice some abnormal happenings with your operation like bleeding, excessive pain, excessive swelling and infection.
Abdominoplasty or tummy tuck price for one procedure may vary depending on your needs or the amount of job to be done. Between $6000 and $8000 (AUD) is its common estimate. Tummy tuck is considered a cosmetic procedure thus it can’t be honored by most insurance companies.